Active Connected Communities was created by Tara to help communities solve challenges – in a way where each person is directly involved.
Tara believes the best way to help a community to solve challenges is to help, guide and teach them how to do it themselves.
Giving a community an answer they haven’t found themselves doesn’t really help.
But teaching a community how to find their own answer and solve their own challenges is extremely powerful.
The ancient Chinese philosopher Lao-tzu best expressed this, saying: “Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish, feed him for a lifetime.”
The underlying values of Active Connected Communities are:
- Collaboration – there is strength and creativeness in collaboration
- Empowerment – for individuals and communities to make changes for their own betterment
- Listening – to people and learning from their experiences
- Respect – to be aware of yours and others feelings, wishes and rights
- Sustainability – creating long-lasting changes and improvements